Re: [Hampshire] IPV4 : 700 days and counting ?

Author: Nick Chalk
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] IPV4 : 700 days and counting ?
Andy Smith <andy@???> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 07:17:44AM +0100,
> Stephen Davies wrote:
>> It states that the IPV4 address base will be
>> exhausted in 700 days and that we should (by
>> default) move to IPV6
> I think it will take a bit longer than this, but
> not much longer. I would expect there to be a
> formalised market for trading IPv4 allocations
> in the next couple of years, and then trading of
> them will extend its life by 5-10 years.

RIPE's FAQ on IPv4 address exhaustion:
http://www.ripe.net/info/faq/IPv6-deployment.html

A little estimation tool, with commentary:
http://www.potaroo.net/tools/ipv4/index.html

The current Bogon list:
http://www.cymru.com/Documents/bogon-bn.html
Bogons are IP address ranges that should not be
routed over the Net - they're either unallocated,
private, or special use. In this context, they
give an idea of the free address ranges... once
you've removed 10/8, 172.16/12, 192.168/16, etc.

Nick.

--
Nick Chalk ................. once a Radio Designer
Confidence is failing to understand the problem.