Re: [Hampshire] IPV4 : 700 days and counting ?

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] IPV4 : 700 days and counting ?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57651100.hantslug.org.uk.14520': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Aug 11 18:23:05 2009 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hi Stephen,

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 07:17:44AM +0100, Stephen Davies wrote:
> This announcement by Roaring Penguin
> http://linuxpr.com/releases/11567.html
>
> had a bit that got me thinking.
>
> It states that the IPV4 address base will be exhausted in 700 days and
> that we should (by default) move to IPV6

I think it will take a bit longer than this, but not much longer.
I would expect there to be a formalised market for trading IPv4
allocations in the next couple of years, and then trading of them
will extend its life by 5-10 years.

> That is all well and good but how many people reading this are actively
> using IPV6 (not just leaving if on by default but configuring things
> like ip6tables.conf, dhcp etc)

It's hard to actively use it when there's hardly any IPv6-only
content on the Internet. Very occasionally I notice I've connected
to an IPv6 web site, or an email came in/out over IPv6. The sad
thing is that I tend to notice I've visited an IPv6 site only when
it doesn't work, usually because someone put an AAAA address in
their DNS and then their IPv6 config broke without them noticing.
The IPv6 Internet is not as reliable as the IPv4 Internet, because
of human factors.

> How many are using an ISP that provided an IPV6 enabled connection?

Very few UK broadband suppliers do provide IPv6. There's a
list at:

https://www.sixxs.net/wiki/IPv6_Enabled_Service_Providers

> If so what ADSL modem do you use?
> If you don't use IPV6 then what are your plans to move to it (at least
> for external connections)?

Personally I use a SixXS tunnel at home so the ADSL part is
irrelevant. I try to use IPv6 on the LAN where possible but not all
software supports it.

At BitFolk we offer native (not tunnelled) IPv6 connectivity; a /64
per customer plus an optional /56 if required/justified.

If you are interested in how it works then I think it's definitely
worth getting a tunnel to play with, but I think the lack of
IPv6-only content out there means there's very little point in
expending effort on it otherwise.

For the rest of the non-technical internet users I think the market
will sort it out for them.

Cheers,
Andy

<GeorgeWBush> I'm still banned on #ubuntu-uk though. Or should I say,
#ubuntu-anti-trans