Re: [Hampshire] Is anybody here using puppet?

Author: Martin A. Brooks
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Is anybody here using puppet?
On 09/08/2009 10:06, Simon Huggins wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 09:01:57AM +0100, Simon Strange wrote:
>
>> Does anybody use puppet? Have any tips/recipes they'd care to share?
>>
> We use it at work. I have a love/hate relationship with it. I see the
> benefits but never quite have enough time to make our config pretty and
> easy to use.

I've used Puppet and cfengine and I can see the advantages of both.

Puppet works well when you have a completely clean slate and start using
it from the word Go on a machine.
cfengine works well when are retrofitting a configuration management
system to a bunch of servers in an uncertain state of maintenance.

I find Puppet's syntax to be excessively verbose and I have concerns
about how well it scales.
Debugging cfengine configs is often a frustrating experience.

People who prefers puppet's syntax but want cfengine's scalability
should look at cfengine3. The language has been extensively re-engineered.

Mart.