Re: [Hampshire] Is anybody here using puppet?

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Is anybody here using puppet?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56f90100.hantslug.org.uk.25339': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Aug 7 15:17:28 2009 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hi Simon,

On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 09:01:57AM +0100, Simon Strange wrote:
> I've recently inherited ownership of a small network, and I'm
> interested in using puppet to control it.
>
> In the past I've used CFEngine with success, so perhaps I should stick
> to what I know. But it does seem that puppet offers a few nice
> things, and is the new-cool. The only obvious problem is that
> documentation is harder to find.

Yeah.

> Does anybody use puppet? Have any tips/recipes they'd care to share?

I use puppet on around 20 machines (some real, some virtual). I use
it to provision my machines after they are installed from a template
image.

I never learned cfengine so it was an easier choice. If I knew
cfengine to begin with I probably would have stuck with that
though, and I might still advise that since most cfengine users seem
happy with it.

At a former dayjob we tried to introduce puppet, but it was a steep
learning curve and in the end existing cfengine knowledge won out.

I believe there was a hantslug presentation about puppet a while
back, sadly I was unable to attend and don't remember who gave it.
Perhaps it's on the wiki?

Cheers,
Andy

"[Open Source is] like trying to sell human rights to China because it might
lead to more effective business models." -- David Kastrup