[Hampshire] Running Logitech Squuzecenter software on NAS

Author: Keith Buddie
To: Hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Running Logitech Squuzecenter software on NAS
Hello all,
I have a Buffalo Linkstation Live 250gb network attached storage box
which up until recently I have used in it's standard setup as a backup
drive and print server.

I then had the clever(?) idea of using it to store all our music and
act as a repository for a Logitech squeezebox duet [1]. If you're not
aware and don't want to read the marketing blurb it's basically a
wireless music streaming device.
However, for the squeezebox to be able to see the music files, you
need to have their proprietary "Squeezecenter" software installed and
running wherever you store the music.

Squeezecenter has a .deb installer, available from [2] and in order to
get this on the Linkstation, I blatted it and installed a customised
debian build based on the Linkstation [3] but I can't get the
Squeezecenter software to run.
It runs fine on my laptop running Ubuntu 9.10 but the whole point was
not to have the laptop running all the time!

I'm installed the package by doing a dpkg -i and it seems to install
OK and I then start it by doing
/etc/init.d/squeezecenter start

it does this without any errors and I can see the process running if a
do a ps but I can't get to it's web interface at
http://ipaddress:9000. It just gives me a connection refused error.

In it's log file I see this:
root@NAS:/usr/sbin# ./squeezecenter-server --d_serverThe following modules
failed to load: version XML::Parser::Expat HTML::Parser JSON::XS Compress::Zlib
Digest::SHA1 YAML::Syck

To download and compile them, please run: /usr/sbin/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl
version XML::Parser::Expat HTML::Parser JSON::XS Compress::Zlib Digest::SHA1
YAML::Syck

Exiting

Great, a solution in the error message... well, no.
I don't have build-perl-modules.pl in that location although I do
locate it at /usr/share/squeezecenter/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl
so I run it from there and get the following output:

root@NAS:/# /usr/share/squeezecenter/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl
Welcome to the Slim Devices perl module installer.

These packages are needed for SqueezeCenter to function.
You will need a C compiler (gcc), make, and perl installed.

You will need development libraries for MySQL. eg: libmysqlclient

You will need development libraries for expat. eg: libexpat1-dev

*** Ignore any warnings about AppConfig. ***

Please enter a perl binary to use (defaults to /usr/bin/perl)
This must be the same perl binary that you ran this program with -->
Please enter the path to your SqueezeCenter directory (ex:
/usr/local/slimserver) --> /usr/share/squeezecenter
Please enter a directory to download files to -->
/usr/share/squeezecenter/perlmodules
Downloads will use lwp to fetch tarballs.

Downloading Class-XSAccessor-Array-0.05.tar.gz to:
/usr/share/squeezecenter/perlmodules
Can't locate auto/Compress/Zlib/autosplit.ix in @INC (@INC contains:
/usr/local/slimserver/CPAN /usr/share/squeezecenter/CPAN CPAN /etc/perl
/usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.8 /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5
/usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.8 /usr/share/perl/5.8 /usr/local/lib/site_perl
.) at /usr/share/perl/5.8/AutoLoader.pm line 160, <STDIN> line 3.
at /usr/share/squeezecenter/CPAN/Compress/Zlib.pm line 15
Uncompressing..
Configuring..
/usr/bin/perl Makefile.PL
WARNING: LICENSE is not a known parameter.
Warning: prerequisite AutoXS::Header 0.02 not found.
Building..
Can't locate AutoXS/Header.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
/usr/share/squeezecenter/CPAN /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.8
/usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.8
/usr/share/perl/5.8 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .).
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.
make: *** [linkext] Error 2
Can't stat blib: No such file or directory
at /usr/share/squeezecenter/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl line 305
Couldn't find a valid dynamic library for Class-XSAccessor-Array-0.05.tar.gz -
something is wrong. Exiting!

At this point I should say I have no experience in using Perl and very
little experience compiling anything other than by following step by
step instructions.
As far as I'm aware I have gcc, make and perl installed as well as the
development libraries; if I do an apt-get, it says there are no
packages to be installed.

I'm guessing either I'm still missing something or I'm not entering
the right parameters when it asks:
"Please enter a perl binary to use"
"Please enter the path to your SqueezeCenter directory"
"Please enter a directory to download files to"

I've googled for this and not found anything that helps and I've also
contacted Logitech support (who claim to support Debian). They advised
me how to switch on the logging but when I posted back the error and
told them what version of Debian I'm running, I was told it was non
standard and they didn't support it.

Help!
Thanks in advance
Keith