Re: [Hampshire] Hantslug gallery update

Top Page
Author: Benjamin M. A'Lee
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Hantslug gallery update

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5679d100.hantslug.org.uk.8265': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Jul 31 09:24:15 2009 BST
gpg: using RSA key ABAE113A166891C7
On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 03:15:12AM +0100, pavithran wrote:
> 2009/7/30 Hugo Mills <hugo@???>:
>
> >> 1. Please update the gallery software
> >
> >   Without meaning to come across as a miserable curmudgeon(*), what
> > would newer software gain, other than a fleeting warm fuzzy feeling of
> > running something up to date, and an indefinable odour of undiscovered
> > security flaws?
> http://codex.gallery2.org/G1-G2_Comparison
> and Gallery 3 is going to be released soon . Aren't we as linux users
> on Cutting edge ?

There’s no point in using bleeding-edge software for the sake of it. On
the other hand, there’s no sense using old software for the sake of it,
either. If there’s some reason not to upgrade, then don’t.

> >> 2 . Use some candy template ( but usable)
> >
> >   I'd rather do without. The primary function of the gallery is to
> > show the pictures that people have taken, not to surround them with
> > distracting fripperies.
> Agree but I didn't ask for a candy template which has all that Ajax
> features which suck the memory/processing memory . I just asking for a
> nice looking gallery template which is *usable* :)

You haven’t explained what’s not usable about the current template. It
seems fine to me.

> Well no wrong in using the old gallery software . But the reason for
> my mail was the gallery didn't render properly in my Minefield 3.6a (
> firefox 3.6 alpha ) browser .
>
> I had to reload the page sometimes to get the gallery right . This was
> happening only in Album display page . Hence my opinion is to move
> from the old un supported software to something new .

You’re using new, unsupported software and surprised that it doesn’t
work? Are you certain that the gallery is to blame and not the alpha
browser you’re using?

--
Benjamin M. A’Lee || mail: bma@???
web: http://bma.subvert.org.uk/ || gpg: 0x166891C7