Re: [Hampshire] Centos 5 / yum not expanding $releasever

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Centos 5 / yum not expanding $releasever

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x582dc100.hantslug.org.uk.28301': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Jul 24 11:58:59 2009 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hi Jon,

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 09:01:44AM +0100, Jon Fautley wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 18:15:04 +0000
> Andy Smith <andy@???> wrote:
> > Has anyone ever had yum on Centos (5) stop expanding the $releasever
> > variable in the repo config?

[...]

> I think that's because yum can't work out what $releasever is. Has
> someone removed the redhat-release package or something?

That package has never been installed, although centos-release is.
I've brought up a copy of the VM before the customer got their hands
on it and it has centos-release not redhat-release, and still works.

> Also make sure there's no reference to distroverpkg= in /etc/yum.conf
> (or if it is that it's correct - (redhat|centos)-release)

The template VM has:

distroverpkg=redhat-release

and still works..

09:02:39 <+Filbert> grifferz: as a followup to my hantslug post,
"yum whatprovides redhat-release" is a useful check, too

On the template VM this shows centos-release. On the customer's
machine yum doesn't even run:

# yum
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/yum", line 28, in ?
    import yummain
  File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 31, in ?
    from yum.i18n import to_unicode
ImportError: cannot import name to_unicode

and I see the binary was modified today.. so I'm going to write this
off as screwed beyond repair by someone other than me, who can fix
it for themselves. :)

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,
Andy

Q. How many mathematicians does it take to change a light bulb?
A. Only one - who gives it to six Californians, thereby reducing the problem
to an earlier joke.