Re: [Hampshire] Mail filtering on remote IMAP server

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Mail filtering on remote IMAP server

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56ee4100.hantslug.org.uk.8662': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed Jul 22 10:12:03 2009 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 07:30:23AM +0100, Timothy Brocklehurst wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 July 2009 22:54:21 Hugo Mills wrote:
> >    Let's say I have an IMAP mail server that stores all my mail in a
> > particular context. I don't have any control over the server itself --
> > just access as a user.

> >    Does anyone know of anything I can use to filter my inbox on the
> > IMAP server into different mailboxes on the same IMAP server --
> > preferably without downloading and re-uploading the mails in
> > question. If it supports sieve (RFC5228) rules, so much the better.

> >    I want to keep all my mails on that server -- not download them to
> > some other machine, as I want to access them from a wide variety of
> > places, and to take advantage of central backups.

> >    I use mutt as a mail client, so answers of the style "just set up
> > rules in Thunderbird" will be ignored... :)

> I think you've already hit the obvious one... Sieve. just create a .sieve file
> in your home directory and job done. An extract from mine is:

Ummm... *What* home directory?

The *only* access I have to my mail and the system it runs on is
through IMAP. (This is an Exchange-based system, and the exchange
filtering requires me to run IE merely to configure it, and it's
utterly pointless anyway, as it only allows filters on about two
header fields anyway).

Hugo.

    --- The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that ---
               heralds new discoveries,  is not "Eureka!",
                          but "That's funny..."