Re: [Hampshire] setting up software raid and LVM

Author: Michael-John Turner
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] setting up software raid and LVM
On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 02:02:14PM +0100, Hugo Mills wrote:
>    I believe that's GRUB2, though. Versions 1.9x are pre-"release"
> GRUB2 -- versions 0.9x are GRUB1, and are no longer being developed.

GRUB 0.9x can certainly boot from RAID1 - I'm doing that on several systems
currently. It only works because GRUB can access each disk individually[1]
and GRUB needs to be installed on both disks. In such cases, I make /boot a
RAID1 array without LVM on top and have the other filesystems as separate
RAID1/5/10 devices with LVM on top of them.

[1] The on-disk format of a RAID1 component disk is almost the same as
    the on-disk format of a disk not part of a RAID1 set. This isn't the
    case for RAID5 or 6, for example.

-mj
--
 Michael-John Turner