Re: [Hampshire] Password problem on first boot up of Acer As…

Author: Chris. Aubrey-Smith
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Password problem on first boot up of Acer Aspire One
>>If you want a small, portable machine capable of running a full Linux
distro with bells and whistles you should really expect to be paying a
lot more for it than the £150 - £200 you can grab an Acer One for these
days. My Dell D430 is just such a machine and costs £600-ish (work paid
for it so I don't know exactly).

It is larger and heavier than a netbook.

Larger? 12"? Not significantly. Heavier? Yes! As a consequence of having a
proper keyboard and screen and a ruggedness which is notably absent from
'netbooks'.

> So "value for money" is not an objective measure.

....but it was, essentially, the subject under discussion.....

> (And my Thinkpad turned out to be poor value for money. :-( )

I'm sorry to hear that: it's the first such assertion I've encountered.

Chris.