Re: [Hampshire] Base OS for Xen

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Base OS for Xen

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57eab100.hantslug.org.uk.11726': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Jul 14 21:29:07 2009 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hi Peter,

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 02:20:10PM +0100, Peter Brooks wrote:
> Just wondering what people have experimented about with for Xen base
> OS, I have a dell Poweredge 1950 that I'm experimenting with. I see
> two obvious choices as Debian or Xenserver but the citrix website for
> XenServer doesn't give too much away.

Well Citrix Xenserver is its own distribution, so you won't get very
far looking for details of running it on other distributions and
avoiding giving them money.

So when using the open source Xen stuff personally I would just use
whatever distribution I was most familiar with, as Xen works pretty
much the same on all of them.

But I probably wouldn't use Xen in any new install today. I'd be
more likely to use KVM if the hardware supported it. I don't know
if your PE1950 does, or if you have other reasons for settling on
Xen.

Cheers,
Andy

"Xandros's low-level support for the Eee mostly seemed to consist of a pile
of shell scripts made of cheese and failure." -- Matthew Garrett