Re: [Hampshire] Trouble writing to DVD

Author: Victor Churchill
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Trouble writing to DVD
2009/7/6 Hugo Mills <hugo@???>:

>   Don't use -scanbus with wodim. It's an entirely broken concept that
> comes from the idea that (a) everything is a SCSI device, and (b)
> everything is mapped as a single bus/device/lun address, which just
> isn't true any more.

Thanks. After posting I discovered the --devices option, which looks
more helpful:
qg@qg_backup:/media/backup/QRepository/SharedDev$ sudo wodim --devices
wodim: Overview of accessible drives (2 found) :
 0  dev='/dev/scd0'    rwrw-- : 'TSSTcorp' 'CD-ROM  TS-H192C'
 1  dev='/dev/scd1'    rwrw-- : '_NEC' 'DVD_RW ND-2500A'

>   For reference, the options I usually use with wodim are:
>
> $ wodim dev=/dev/sda -v -J -R -eject disk-image.iso
>
>> Also I don't see how wodim can be asked to do a whole directory tree
>> rather than just a list of single files.
>
>   You need to prepare the disk image first, with mkisofs (for CDs) or
> growisofs, and then write that image to the disk with wodim.
>
>> I don't much mind which method I use as long as I can do one of
>> them... any suggestions?
>
>   I use growisofs, which is a command-line tool for creating DVD
> filesystems and writing DVDs:
>
> $ growisofs -Z /dev/sda -J -joliet-long -speed=4 -R /path/to/dir

OK! from the man page it looks as if that (and a few merged repeats)
should do the job. And without needing a separate generation of the
ISO first, but rather writing the data direct to the DVD.

>   That will write the contents of the given directory as the root
> directory of the DVD.

I am currently having a go with

qg@qg_backup:/media/backup/QRepository/SharedDev$ growisofs -Z
/dev/scd1 -J -joliet-long -speed=4 -R first_directory/ ,
to be followed with -M second_directory/ and will see how we get on.

It does look as if the file names are all being collapsed to 8.3
format, however, which is a bit disappointing, e.g. :
Using INCRE000.YMS;1 for
Development/PLC_programs/Analogue/incremental.yms4 (incremental.yms3)
Using INCRE001.YMS;1 for
Development/PLC_programs/Analogue/incremental.yms3 (incremental.yms2)
or
Using ASRAL020.CSV;1 for
Development/qgradcom/CSV/ASRAL023_2008-02-09-07-30-27_2.csv
(ASRAL023_2008-02-09-07-30-27_1.csv)
Using ASRAL021.CSV;1 for
Development/qgradcom/CSV/ASRAL023_2008-02-09-07-30-27_1.csv
(ASRAL023_2008-02-08-07-30-29_2.csv)

(I do not know what the 'yms[0-9] suffices signify in this case. It's
just a for-instance.)

But if we get a DVD made with an archive with collapsed names then
that is better than nothing.

thanks again,

victor