Re: [Hampshire] Trouble writing to DVD

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Trouble writing to DVD

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57caa100.hantslug.org.uk.27659': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon Jul 6 17:47:13 2009 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Mon, Jul 06, 2009 at 05:29:38PM +0100, Victor Churchill wrote:
> I need to write a DVD archive of a large number of files in a
> directory hierarchy but am failing.

> 3. I have read the wodim man page but feel a bit flummoxed by the
> range of options. It's not clear to me how I specify the device
> ('wodim -scanbus' gives me this:

Don't use -scanbus with wodim. It's an entirely broken concept that
comes from the idea that (a) everything is a SCSI device, and (b)
everything is mapped as a single bus/device/lun address, which just
isn't true any more.

For reference, the options I usually use with wodim are:

$ wodim dev=/dev/sda -v -J -R -eject disk-image.iso

> Also I don't see how wodim can be asked to do a whole directory tree
> rather than just a list of single files.

You need to prepare the disk image first, with mkisofs (for CDs) or
growisofs, and then write that image to the disk with wodim.

> I don't much mind which method I use as long as I can do one of
> them... any suggestions?

I use growisofs, which is a command-line tool for creating DVD
filesystems and writing DVDs:

$ growisofs -Z /dev/sda -J -joliet-long -speed=4 -R /path/to/dir

That will write the contents of the given directory as the root
directory of the DVD.

Hugo.

                  --- Be pure. Be vigilant. Behave. ---