Re: [Hampshire] alternatives to acroread

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] alternatives to acroread
On Fri, 3 Jul 2009 11:22:13 +0100
john lewis <johnlewis@???> wrote:

> I guess I could file 'wish-list' bugs against xpdf, evince etc so
> that they can open multiple files in one window and not in multiple
> windows but cannot see it getting a lot of attention to be honest.
> xpdf & evice do work pretty well and it is only bells and whistles
> that are missing.
>
> Adobe have had a lot of time to evolve acroread, it is currently in
> ver 9.1.2, evince is ver 2.26.2 and xpdf is ver 3.02pl3.

xpdf is no longer being maintained anyway

" Package: xpdf
Severity: serious

xpdf has seen it's last maintainer upload two years ago. A package
like xpdf with a long-standing track record of security issues
needs an active maintainer.

(An cleanest solution might be to drop xpdf altogether; the
correct way to implement a PDF viewer these days is to build
on top of poppler, such a okular, evince or epdfview."

the evince people are aware they lack some features of acroread, for
example

Both tools support basic search function but Acroread support searching
keyword in several files at the time and linking to yahoo search by
external browser.

acroread also does its search in the section of file I'm in whereas
evince starts at beginning of file

1. Bookmarks
Evince doesn't support Bookmark and comments if you open a PDF file
with those properites, Evince will ignore those features.

most of my pdf files have bookmarks to help with navigation through
long files

--
John Lewis
using Debian Sid with windowmaker for a nicer desktop