Re: [Hampshire] alternatives to acroread

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] alternatives to acroread
On Fri, 3 Jul 2009 09:58:13 +0100
Alan Pope <alan@???> wrote:

> 2009/7/3 john lewis <johnlewis@???>:
> > Thanks for all the suggestions but it seems open source software
> > has a way to go yet before it can replace the Adobe offering for
> > what _I_ want it to do.
> >

> File a bug against those apps that break in your use case?

Bugs had already been filed against ia32-apt-get which was the main
cause of the problems, it looks like a patched version was downloaded
overnight which once installed enabled me to load the ia32 libs that
acroread needed.

I guess I could file 'wish-list' bugs against xpdf, evince etc so
that they can open multiple files in one window and not in multiple
windows but cannot see it getting a lot of attention to be honest.
xpdf & evice do work pretty well and it is only bells and whistles
that are missing.

Adobe have had a lot of time to evolve acroread, it is currently in ver
9.1.2, evince is ver 2.26.2 and xpdf is ver 3.02pl3.

--
John Lewis
using Debian Sid with windowmaker for a nicer desktop