Re: [Hampshire] is it time to get rid of my advansys scsi c…

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] is it time to get rid of my advansys scsi controller?
On Wed, 1 Jul 2009 12:18:35 +0100
Alan Pope <alan@???> wrote:

> 2009/7/1 john lewis <johnlewis@???>:
> > regrettably I still got an error when I tried booting the 2.6.30
> > kernel this morning
> >
> > failed to load image "advansys/mcode.bin" err-2
> >

> Interesting, my brain is telling me -2 is file not found, but I may be
> wrong on that. Where exactly did you plop the files?

benden:/home/jayell# ls /lib/firmware
3com advansys dabusb e100 kaweth matrox r128 radeon tehuti

benden:/home/jayell# ls /lib/firmware/advansys
3550.bin 38C0800.bin 38C1600.bin mcode.bin

> On Ubuntu they're in /lib/firmware/`uname -r`/advansys

should not be a problem as Debian uses same location

> Unless it's just a bug that it can't load them for some reason. I
> can't imagine debian block the loading of the firmware even though you
> obtained it. That would smack of FSF-levels of 'freedom' imposing.

I'm pretty sure Debian doesn't prevent user freedom, after all I have
been using stuff like acroread for yonks.

--
John Lewis
using Debian Sid with windowmaker for a nicer desktop