Re: [Hampshire] PC powers itself off after grub.. any ideas?

Top Page
Author: The Holy ettlz
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] PC powers itself off after grub.. any ideas?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57bd6100.hantslug.org.uk.13235': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Jun 30 18:58:02 2009 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2FF22CF403F94B5D
On Tue, 2009-06-30 at 17:34 +0100, Stephen Rowles wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Slightly OT, except for the fact that the machine is running Fedora 10.
>
> My machine powers on and boots into grub just fine, however as soon as I
> select the kernel to boot the machine continues to a blinking cursor
> before the whole machine simple shuts down.
>
> I'm wondering if it might be a faulty PSU?

Depends. If you can leave it running at the Grub menu (which spins the
CPU) indefinitely, then it's probably not a power problem. Does any
other operating system work?

> Any other suggestions? I'm going to try booting from my Fedora install
> image on usb stick but I've never seen this sort of behavior before.
>
> It behaves the same regardless of which kernel I select so I don't think
> it is related to any updates, typical to get a hardware failure on the PC
> that runs the telly during Wimbledon week!

Try booting with acpi=off and see if this helps.

James.

--
The Holy ettlz                              TheHolyettlz@???
PGP key ID: 03F94B5D