Re: [Hampshire] PC powers itself off after grub.. any ideas?

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] PC powers itself off after grub.. any ideas?
2009/6/30 Steve Kemp <steve@???>:
> On Tue Jun 30, 2009 at 17:34:48 +0100, Stephen Rowles wrote:
>
>> I'm wondering if it might be a faulty PSU?
>
>  I think its a tie between PSU and overheating.
>
>> It behaves the same regardless of which kernel I select so I don't think
>> it is related to any updates, typical to get a hardware failure on the PC
>> that runs the telly during Wimbledon week!
>
>  If you leave the machine shut down for an hour or so, then power it
>  up does it get futher?  (If so that would point more definitively to
>  overheating.)

Based on current weather conditions(HOT) and the odd butterfly
effect..., I would say overheating is the most likely cause.
Check that all the fans are working well, and don't have dust in them
and there is good air flow through them.
Another option is the paste between the fan and the CPU drying out and
going too powdery.
I had a similar problem, and replacing the CPU paste and cleaning the
fan fixed the problem.
The result was a CPU that ran 15 degrees cooler.
I now set the HD to automatically spin down after 20 mins of no use
for temperature reasons.

The PSU has already span up the HD and read the grub boot sector, so I
don't think the PSU is at fault.

James