Re: [Hampshire] is it time to get rid of my advansys scsi c…

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] is it time to get rid of my advansys scsi controller?
On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 13:09:49 +0100
Alan Pope <alan@???> wrote:

> 2009/6/28 john lewis <johnlewis@???>:
> > I decided to install the latest kernel (2.6.30-1-amd64) on my
> > system, on installation I got the following errors
> >
> > Setting up linux-image-2.6.30-1-amd64
> > (2.6.30-1) ... Running
> > depmod. Running
> > update-initramfs. update-initramfs:
> > Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.30-1-amd64
> >
> > W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/advansys/38C1600.bin for
> > module advansys
> >
> > W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/advansys/38C0800.bin for
> > module advansys
> >
> > W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/advansys/3550.bin for
> > module advansys
> >
> > W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/advansys/mcode.bin for
> > module advansys
> >

> On my Ubuntu system they're in:-
>
> alan@hactar:/lib/firmware$ find | grep 38C
> ./2.6.30-10-generic/advansys/38C0800.bin
> ./2.6.30-10-generic/advansys/38C1600.bin
> ./2.6.30-9-generic/advansys/38C0800.bin
> ./2.6.30-9-generic/advansys/38C1600.bin
>
> > and it won't boot - with messages saying it cannot find those
> > firmware modules. I've tried googling for a solution without
> > success.
> >
> > I also installed the linux-headers package but am not sure how to
> > compile those missing firmware modules for a non-running kernel
> >

> You generally don't compile firmware blobs as they're usually provided
> by hardware manufacturers in binary-only form. According to Ubuntu
> they're in:-
>
> alan@hactar:~$ dpkg
> -S /lib/firmware/2.6.30-10-generic/advansys/38C0800.bin
> linux-image-2.6.30-10-generic: /lib/firmware/2.6.30-10-generic/advansys/38C0800.bin
>
> So in Ubuntuland the standard kernel contains that firmware.
>
> I can't find those firmware files in Debian.
>
> http://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=contents&keywords=38C0800.bin&mode=exactfilename&suite=unstable&arch=any
>
> Maybe it's time to upgrade to Ubuntu :p

Never, not ever!*

I had read about the Debian decision not to include firmware in
kernels but didn't really expect my ancient advansys scsi card to fall
foul of this.

My googling efforts didn't throw up any source for those missing files
hence my asking for advice. It does look like my best option is to
remove the card and look for a reasonably priced usb scanner that
works out of the box with Debian

What I get is going to depend on what having the four glass french
mantle clock I inherited from my Mother will actually cost to have it
fully restored.

It was a nice looking clock in its tarnished condition but with the
brasswork properly polished and lacquered, the enamelled pillars,
dial surround and pendulum cleaned up, plus new mercury vials it will
be quite stunning.

It has been with the restorers for nearly 9 months now such is the
demand for their services but it is almost ready for collection. The
original estimate was in the region of £800 but depending on what
problems they found it could cost somewhat more. Once done however the
retail value will be double that so worth having done.

So until I know the final cost I'll have to do without a scanner.

* I will admit to having installed crunchbang in VirtualBox along with
XP Pro so equate them as being almost equally bad :-)

--
John Lewis
using Debian Sid with windowmaker for a nicer desktop