Re: [Hampshire] OT:What? 6 years to analogue radio off

Author: trotter
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] OT:What? 6 years to analogue radio off
At 11:34 19/06/2009, you wrote:
>2009/6/19 Rob Malpass <lug@???>:
> >
> > I think I heard somewhere that the radio signals that come over Freeview
> > (DVB is it) are of higher quality (bit rate) than DAB and with DVB mobile
> > devices becoming move prevalent (saw it on the Gadget show IIRC) I suspect
> > someone will bring out gadgets that basically pick up radio over DVB.
> > Presumably for this to happen, DVB coverage will have to be better than
> > DAB - not sure what Digital Britain says in this regard.
> >
> > Personally I love DAB but only because I'm in a good area for it down here
> > in Sussex.
> >
> > The one problem (for any of you that like to hear today in parliament) is
> > that it's not available via the radio4 feed that comes via DVB. The
> > "Parliament" radio station pops up on DAB for the 15 minutes per day that
> > it's required then disappears - as does the Daily Service an hour later.
> > I've spoken to people at the BBC about this curiosity and their advice was
> > "listen on the web" if you can't get DAB.
> >

>I think DAB is not really all that good.
>One can get the radio channels over:
>1) the Internet.
>2) Freeview (DVB-T) and Sky Satellite (DVB-S).

Only BBC channels and some national stations are available over higher
quality freeview transmission.
The station i listen to is XFM mainly which is part of a national group that
owns galaxy as well. This is not available on Freeview otherwise i would
of bought a Freeview box just for higher quality radio.

Martin N

Owner of the bwfc yahoogroup and Co-Moderator of MiniDisc and
amithlonopen yahoo groups.