Re: [Hampshire] OT:What? 6 years to analogue radio off

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] OT:What? 6 years to analogue radio off

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sean Gibbins" <sean@???>
To: "Hampshire LUG Discussion List" <hampshire@???>
Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 10:56 PM

trotter wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I heard this on radio 4 news yesterday.
> I have not heard it anywhere else though and was wondering if anyone else
> had
> come across it?
>
> Unfortunately DAB radio is pretty poor using old musicam mp2 leaving FM
> sounding better than the newer technology.

*sigh*

My £22 NAD tuner (off Ebay) sounds bloody lovely too...

:-(

Sean

--
www.funkygibbins.me.uk

I think I heard somewhere that the radio signals that come over Freeview
(DVB is it) are of higher quality (bit rate) than DAB and with DVB mobile
devices becoming move prevalent (saw it on the Gadget show IIRC) I suspect
someone will bring out gadgets that basically pick up radio over DVB.
Presumably for this to happen, DVB coverage will have to be better than
DAB - not sure what Digital Britain says in this regard.

Personally I love DAB but only because I'm in a good area for it down here
in Sussex.

The one problem (for any of you that like to hear today in parliament) is
that it's not available via the radio4 feed that comes via DVB. The
"Parliament" radio station pops up on DAB for the 15 minutes per day that
it's required then disappears - as does the Daily Service an hour later.
I've spoken to people at the BBC about this curiosity and their advice was
"listen on the web" if you can't get DAB.

Cheers
Rob