Re: [Hampshire] OT:What? 6 years to analogue radio off

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] OT:What? 6 years to analogue radio off
2009/6/17 trotter <m.nuttall@???>:

> Its 50p on each landline....
> so you can guess what happens next ......we all switch to mobile only to
> avoid it!

I don't really understand the reason why everyone has to have a 2Mbps
internet connection.
It is really not necessary and I cannot see any benefit to the economy
or the general population by doing so. I have some friends who have no
internet connection at home, and when I ask them why not, they just
say they don't need it, and if they need to use it, they just ask a
neighbor or the local library to use theirs. I even offer to link
their computer to the internet via a simple modem so that they can do
the emails themselves, but they are not interested.
They are well aware of what the internet provides, they just don't need it.
In my view, if people live in places where 2Mbps is not working for
them, and they think they really have to have it, they should just
move to somewhere that has it.
I think that is far better than yet more taxes!!!
Any economist will tell you, taxes make the economy less efficient.

Can anyone please help me and explain why everyone HAS to have 2Mbps?
I think 2Mbps is just nice to have. A long time ago I was using a
2400Baud modem for internet access via. demon internet, and I was very
happy with that. IRC works fine over that!

The only difference between a dial up modem and 2Mbps is whether you
can play youtube or not. Actually, that is not true, one can play
youtube over a dial up modem because it uses progressive download, so
the video will eventually download to the PC and one can play it, it
just takes longer.

Kind Regards

James