Re: [Hampshire] 32bit compiled library on a 64bit system?

Author: David Ramsden
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] 32bit compiled library on a 64bit system?
Chris Sykes wrote:
> On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 08:46:09PM +0100, David Ramsden wrote:
>> I'm also guessing I'm a bit stuck and there's no work around for this? I
>> can reinstall with a 32bit OS as this system is in testing but of
>> course, ideally I'd like to run a 64bit OS on the 64bit processor that's
>> inside the box.
>
> You could install the Lenny vserver or openvz kernels for amd64, then run
> the PHP app in a 32-bit vserver guest. I have used a system like
> this with some success - the guests don't take up much disk space and all
> the tools you need are already in the Lenny repositories.

Thanks to all those who replied and confirmed my initial fears :)

Chris, vserver appears to be ideal. I've just finished compiling a
vserver patched kernel and I've got a 32-bit Debian install up and
running. It was surprisingly easy. The migration should be nice and easy
as I can just copy the Apache configs to /etc/vservers/<name>/vdir/etc
on the host.

Regards,
David.
--