Re: [Hampshire] constantly flickering LEDs on router, second…

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] constantly flickering LEDs on router, second try.

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x58030100.hantslug.org.uk.15469': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun May 17 20:12:26 2009 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 07:59:23PM +0100, hantslug@??? wrote:
> I have had this problem since yesterday evening.

Why is it a problem? :)

> When my main desktop is connected to the router the light on the
> port to which it is connected flickers constantly. I have tried it
> on 3 of the 4 ports. I do not have this problem with any of the
> other computers that are attached.
>
> Simultaneously the Internet connected led flashes. Initially the
> IDE HDD light flashed as well, but that appears to have stopped.
>
> I have tried:
> Three of the ports on the router.
> two different network cards (the computer has two)
> run rkhunter
> a live CD

> As to the problem, other possible causes I found were PSU and RAM. I have a
> PC/SPS Tester, but am a bit scared to use it after all the warnings on the
> net! I shall probably run Memtest overnight.

You're heading way off base very fast, here...

The first thing to do is to find out whether there actually is any
network traffic going past. Then you need to find out whether it's
network traffic that you want to be going through.

Simple first test: if you bring down the main network interface on
the machine, does the flickering stop?

# ifdown eth0

(Use ifup eth0 to bring it back up)

If so, then it's probably not a hardware fault, and something
really is sending network packets. Also try:

# watch -n 1 ifconfig

and watch the RX bytes and TX bytes counters.

To investigate what might be doing this communication, netstat may
help:

# netstat -ap --inet --inet6

Look at the tcp and tcp6 sockets that are "ESTABLISHED", and see
what connections you've got. The last column will give you the pid of
the process, in each case, which you can then look up in "ps axfww".

If you still can't see what might be causing the communications
you're worried about, then we can get all medieval on it with tcpdump
and/or wireshark, but the above should be a good start.

Hugo.

  --- What do you give the man who has everything? -- Penicillin is ---
                             a good start...