[Hampshire] Cheap Notebooks?

Top Page
Author: Dr A. J. Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Cheap Notebooks?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5758f100.hantslug.org.uk.20776': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon May 11 23:09:56 2009 BST
gpg: using RSA key CE51DC61FABA2DF3
Hi,

My old Dell Inspiron is coming to the end of it's life, I mostly use a desktop
system so I don't need an all dancing notebook. I want a small/cheap
computer, for presentations at meetings and the occasional use away from
home.

I can get a Dell Inspiron Mini 12 for £380 which comes shipped with Ubuntu.

I can get a Novatech "no name" E15 Pro for £332 with no OS.

The Dell is about the right size, the Novatech is probably larger than I want.
I can also go for one of the many netbooks too (~ £250), though mostly they
come with the Windows Tax.

I know some people get second hand units, what can be bought for under £300?
Where is reputable? I think the 12" screen format is probably best, so which
models are okay to buy second hand and are happy running Debian or other
Linux distros?

Thanks in advance.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

When a Microsoft product is the lesser of two evils, you know for
sure that there's something fishy going on.
    -- anon