Re: [Hampshire] Packet flooding tools or techniques

Author: Nick Chalk
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Packet flooding tools or techniques
Hugo Mills <hugo@???> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 10:21:38PM +0000, Nick
> Chalk wrote:
>> Can anyone suggest a tool or technique for
>> generating a packet flood attack from a Linux
>> box, or small group of them?
> If I remember aright, there's a packet
> generator, for test purposes, in the netfilter
> code in the kernel. Might be worth a look?

It was, thanks Hugo.

With a little help from the instructions and
scripts here:
ftp://robur.slu.se/pub/Linux/net-development/pktgen-testing/
I've managed to monopolise the Cisco router with a
single packet stream. I've yet to measure how many
packets/s it can generate, as the router is too
busy even to update its interface stats.

Now for the real work of trying to keep the router
responsive under that load.

Nick.

--
Nick Chalk ................. once a Radio Designer
Confidence is failing to understand the problem.