[Hampshire] Packet flooding tools or techniques

Author: Nick Chalk
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Packet flooding tools or techniques
Evening all.

Can anyone suggest a tool or technique for
generating a packet flood attack from a Linux box,
or small group of them?

I'm trying to test methods of mitigating packet
flood attacks on Cisco routers, but I'm having
trouble with my control test. Despite pushing the
7200 to 100% CPU load, I can't seem to cause much
in the way of denial of service - BGP sessions
stay up, and it still responds to telnet.

So far, I've not been able to generate more than
about 1.5k packets/s - I'd like to go much higher,
as we typically see 100k packets/s in real
attacks.

I'm currently playing with plain ping -f, using
large packets, and hping2. I plan to look at
hping3 which appears to have a flood option. Are
there any other tools I could try?

Thanks for your help.

Nick.

--
Nick Chalk ................. once a Radio Designer
Confidence is failing to understand the problem.