Re: [Hampshire] linux for toshiba satellite pro 4320

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] linux for toshiba satellite pro 4320
On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 15:26:07 +0100
trotter <m.nuttall@???> wrote:

> At 23:31 18/04/2009, you wrote:
>
> > > [1] http://www.tinycorelinux.com/
> >
> >nice one, will.
> >
> >i love the idea of having a basic installation then choosing which
> >apps you require... i don't need 3 web browsers, 7 email clients and
> >19 text editors.
> >
> >in fact, i like this idea so much, i've registered on the forum and
> >hope to donate some time and energy into helping this project.
>

> Suprising that we haven't had popular distros doing this.
> With broadband not being available to some people and BB being
> flaky enough that sometimes a corrupt ISO is downloaded.

I have always installed Debian in this manner once I realised I too
didn't want umpteen alternatives for browsing, editing etc.

All I do is to avoid gui installers and don't use the package
selection tool when it is offered so get a basic installation once the
system has re-booted.

I know exactly what packages I want on my system by now and
"aptitude install" them from the command line.

--
John Lewis
using Debian Sid with windowmaker for a nicer desktop