Re: [Hampshire] MS Bashing Re: Don't tell Bill

Author: Paul Stimpson
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] MS Bashing Re: Don't tell Bill
Hi,

Alan Bell wrote:
> Simon Huggins wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Dec 06, 2008 at 10:04:27AM +0000, Alan Bell wrote:
>>

>>> Anyone who wants to do some promotional activity of Free/Open Source
>>> software can join in.
>>> Design and make your own "Don't tell Bill" thing - it could be anything,
>>>

>> Sorry is this just a Microsoft-bashing list these days?
>>

> no
>
>> I didn't think OSS fans had to do that to win mindshare.
>>

> they don't have to do anything, but they can if they want.

Can it be made plain in the submission rules that the purpose of it
isn't to bash MS. I could see how anyone who is rabidly anti-Redmond
might see the name and take it as an encouragement to do so.

> I really don't want this to be about Microsoft, or any other proprietary
> software vendor. It is about all the great Free software that is
> available that people need to know about so they can save money doing
> the things they already do, and do more for less. "Bill" has no surname
> and no specific company affiliation, it isn't about "Bill" any more than
> the British gas selloff was about "Sid".

Does "Bill" have to be a person? Could it not also be a document?
(Software Bill) Thinking along the lines of a huge, fat licensing bill
for office apps and OS licenses - "Don't tell Bill... He's going on a diet."

Cheers,
Paul.