Re: [Hampshire] Don't tell Bill

Top Page
Author: Dr Adam Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Don't tell Bill

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57cd4100.hantslug.org.uk.24087': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sat Dec 6 11:15:15 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
On Saturday 06 Dec 2008, Alan Bell wrote:
> OK, so this is moving on a bit. We wanted to do a really big eye
> catching expensive campaign, then we looked at our bank balance and
> thought again. We would kind of like to make this a bigger thing than we
> can actually afford so we have decided (over a few beers) to do it the
> Open way.

If you are careful you may be able to get away with it.

You need some buttons on your web site to allow people to link to you, then
you encourage people to create their own.

People will happily blog and link to you, and if you can get other "open"
companies to get involved you may be able to cooperate - while you may
compete in theory the market size is such that you are better off attacking a
common foe and growing your overall market together than attacking each
other.

> Anyone who wants to do some promotional activity of Free/Open Source
> software can join in.
> Design and make your own "Don't tell Bill" thing - it could be anything,
> postcards, a Tshirt, a television/YouTube advert, a laser printed poster
> stuck on a school noticeboard etc. Just something that will be seen by
> people outside the existing Free software community.

Excellent.

> On this put a URL
> http://donttellbill.com/something where "something" is anything you
> like, could be your name, your project name, some random letters etc.
> This points at a folder on our webserver, where you can stick whatever
> you like, we might provide a template to get you started or something
> like that. There might be some consistent elements to the pages but
> basically you have a free hand.
>
> For example you could do something like a poster with the text "I didn't
> pay for my company telephone exchange, shh, don't tell Bill" and a link
> directing people to http://donttellbill/asterisk
> Where you explain a bit more about Asterisk and perhaps direct people to
> asterisk.com or your Asterisk support services (you don't have to do
> this, just pointing out we have no problem with people promoting
> themselves as well as the project)

I think that's the way to go.

> We are making this up as we go along so if you have comments and
> suggestions it is likely that they will be incorporated.

Make sure you have the copyright and ownership and licence sorted out.
You don't need to be to fussy but you near to be clear on who owns what and so
on.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity
has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.
    -- Richard Dawkins