Re: [Hampshire] Long Life Netbook style device

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Long Life Netbook style device
On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 09:35:55 +0000
Jim Kissel <jlk@???> wrote:

> I didn't resits at all. Soon as I could order a 901 with Linux I
> did. Sold my 701 a few days later. The 901 battery life is so good,
> that I never need to bring along the charger.

I have only recently got a 900 so am not about to upgrade to a 901, on
the other hand my wife quite likes the 900 :-)

But we have spent quite a lot of money related to our move to Yeovil*
and I'd rather upgrade her several years old desktop PC first.

She can always 'borrow' the 900 and that might get her used to the idea
of using debian-eeepc + gnome. OK, I have given in and installed my
most disliked GUI but for once I need the bells & whistles that come
with it.

I'd like to increase the memory and possibly the storage above what
came with the system, Memory should be no problem as they are standard
SO-DIMM modules. Storage not so easy although this URL suggests 32GB &
64GB PCI-E SSDs for Asus Eee PC 900 and 901 should be available
sometime soon :-)

http://jkkmobile.blogspot.com/2008/07/eee-pcs-getting-32gb-and-64bg-ssds.html

Fitting them looks to be more problematic and seems to involve
removing the keyboard if I read this article correctly

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/04/19/inside_the_eee_pc_900/1

Battery life is the 900's biggest problem but I can live with it (I
think). I am reluctant to apply the bios upgrade and am not even sure
if the latest listed on the Asus site will apply earlier patches
cumulatively

> The other big plus, is I ditched my brief case, for a Case Logic bag
> for external hard drives. The 901 is a perfect fit + HSDPA modem and
> bits and pieces. A quarter the size of my brief case and and maybe 3
> pounds all up weight.

That looks quite neat so maybe I'll ask my daughters to get me one for
Xmas.

*new dining table and chairs, bookcases & a new bed plus having our
Bournemouth house re-decorated throughout.

--
John Lewis
using Debian Sid with windowmaker for a nicer desktop