Re: [Hampshire] Decisions, decisions... KDE3, KDE4 or Gnome?

Author: Richard Danter
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Decisions, decisions... KDE3, KDE4 or Gnome?
2008/11/16 Vic <lug@???>:
>> Simplicity was not really what I was after. Stability was and also
>> something that my D400 could reasonably manage with its 512MB RAM and
>> it's 1.4GHz Pentium M processor.

<snip>

> Stability is pretty good - Adept has fallen over a number of times, but
> the rest seems fairly solid. Some of the apps don't work without a little
> magic (i.e. you have to run them from CLI first to find out why they
> fail), but I've got most of it doing something eventually.

And that is really what I mean by stable. I have been using Linux for
many years right back to the early Slackware days and before I could
run X Windows at all. I think my first box was a 386 with just 1MB
RAM, maybe 486. For much of that time I have been happy to make it
work myself, it has been a great part the the learning experience --
you really do learn more when you have to figure something out for
yourself.

But now I just don't have the time any more. I still have to do this
kind of thing as part of my job (I am actively trying to find the
source of a machine check exception on a MIPS board running Linux
right now) so it's not like I can't make things work. But for my
desktop I really want it to "just work" so I can get on with the job
at hand.

There were only a couple of minor issues with KDE3 and so far I am
happy with my switch back to Gnome. I may well tackle KDE4 again in
the future (when I have a more powerful machine at home).

Actually my work machine is more than capable with it being a Core 2
Due with 2GB RAM. It is currently running Kubuntu 8.04 with KDE3 very
well. Maybe by 9.04 KDE4 will be that much more stable and I will be
able to try it. But I can't really justify it right now, for during
work time I am paid to, well, work, not play with my desktop install.
:o)

Rich