Re: [Hampshire] Wireless range

Author: Richard Danter
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Wireless range
Thought I would just send you all a quick update now I finally had
time to play...

I moved my wireless router back above the door to my office where the
old box was. Velcro does the trick, excellent suggestion! I amso asked
my work IT goys to check the wireless on the VPN box was off (since I
never use it) so it should not be causing any interference.

Using my Dell D400 running Ubuntu 8.10 from the dining room I get a
signal strength between 60% and 70% all the time. I can pick up only
one other network and it is on a different channel and a very weak
signal. So that should not be causing any problems.

My wife's Compaq WinXP machine however still had trouble.

So then I enabled broadcasting the ESSID. Wife's machine is instantly
happy. Not such a good signal as I get with my laptop but at least it
connects now and though it often drops the connection it seems to be
able to pick it up again pretty quick.

I am still unsure why that machine should find it so much more
difficult to get a signal compared to when we used my old router, but
c'est la vie I suppose. Maybe I should invest in a 802.11n card or USB
dongle for her with RangeMax, that may make a difference.

Thanks to everyone for the many helpful suggestions.

Rich