Re: [Hampshire] Ebuyer Netbook Bargain

Author: John Cooper
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ebuyer Netbook Bargain
Jon Fautley wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 13:00:54 +0000
> Sean Gibbins <sean@???> wrote:
>

>> I quite fancied one of these when I first saw them a few months back:
>>
>> http://www.ebuyer.com/product/145008
>>
>> and eBuyer have just dropped the price dramatically - shame I can't
>> afford one - was £351, is now £194!
>>
>> There is a grumble about the 1.2 GHz VIA processor in the review, but
>> from Windows user who wants to run Vista and play games on it for
>> crying out loud! Aside from that it has got a decent 1280 x 768 WXGA
>> screen resolution, 120 GB hard drive, 1GB memory. Not sure which
>> flavour of Linux...
>>

> According to that link.. SLED 10.
>
> ... and there was me just about to order one ;)
>
> Cheers,
>
> /j

I bought one, had trouble registering SLED, then eventually managed to
only for it to loose the wireless after doing an update. Replaced with
Ubuntu and it all worked perfectly, including my USB 3G device. The
screen and keyboard are excellent, but it does run hot and the battery
life is poor (<2 hours). For £200, it is still a great buy.

John.

Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk