Re: [Hampshire] Ebuyer Netbook Bargain

Author: Simon Capstick
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ebuyer Netbook Bargain
Jon Fautley wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 13:00:54 +0000
> Sean Gibbins <sean@???> wrote:
>
>> I quite fancied one of these when I first saw them a few months back:
>>
>> http://www.ebuyer.com/product/145008
>>
>> and eBuyer have just dropped the price dramatically - shame I can't
>> afford one - was £351, is now £194!
>>
>> There is a grumble about the 1.2 GHz VIA processor in the review, but
>> from Windows user who wants to run Vista and play games on it for
>> crying out loud! Aside from that it has got a decent 1280 x 768 WXGA
>> screen resolution, 120 GB hard drive, 1GB memory. Not sure which
>> flavour of Linux...
>
> According to that link.. SLED 10.
>
> ... and there was me just about to order one ;)
>
> Cheers,
>
> /j

We use quite a few 1.2Ghz fanless VIA C7 CPUs in the office and they're
not all that bad for office duties. They happily run Windows XP/Office
2007/IE/Anti-virus. I've run Debian/OpenOffice on them too although it
felt slower than Windows. Any intensive task including software updates
and they do slow to a crawl though (probably the 2.5" laptop HDs we use).

Simon C.