Re: [Hampshire] Hello

Author: Dr Adam J Trickett
To: Alan Pope
CC: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Hello
On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 at 02:21:00PM +0100, Alan Pope wrote:
> 2008/10/9 Dr Adam J Trickett <adam.trickett@???>:
> > I think it's true, if you turn up at an event and nobody says
> > hello you feel a bit odd. I know we all do it and forget to
> > introduce ourselves, hence my resolution to try and always say
> > hello to people at LUG meetings.
> >

> When at Southampton we started having a reception desk with name
> badges. The idea being if a new person turned up they could get a
> badge (which everyone else would also have) and they could be guided
> to someone who can help get them going.
>
> We haven't done this at some events - especially those where we mix
> with Surrey LUG (some of which probably wouldn't wear a badge with
> their _real_ name on anyway - but that's besides the point), or are at
> a new venue.
>
> Perhaps we should give that a kick start at the next meeting to ensure
> it is done.

Exactly, people don't have to wear a badge if they don't want, but
it helps if they do. If someone is new I think it's nice to if
someone can introduce them. The desk more or less works when we
use it at Southampton, but we don't use it as much else where.
Sometimes people may have contributed for months or years but neve
been in person, so sometime the personal touch is required.

I know I'm as guilty as the next for not saying hello, hence my
pledge to do better!

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

No virus was found in this outgoing message as I didn't bother looking.
    -- anon