Re: [Hampshire] New box for Virtualisation

Author: Martin Wimpress
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] New box for Virtualisation
Hi Rob,

I have just gone through this exact exercise at home. I am running
Ubuntu Hardy 8.04.1 64-bit workstation as a host operation system and
Vmware server with 6 virtual machines as guests.

- 5x Ubuntu Hardy 8.04.1 servers for development, testing, media
serving, hosting, etc.
- 1x Windows XP Professional for managing hardware devices that Linux
does not support.

I bought refurbished Dell T7400 which has 2x 2.66Ghz Intel Xeon E5430 (8
cores), 32 GB DDR2 ECC Fully Buffered FLS RAM and a clutch of SATA
disks. Do checkout the refurbished kit suppliers you can get significant
savings!

A1 - What Hugo said is dead right.

Just make sure that you get the right hardware -- check the
"AMD-V" or "Intel-VT" capabilities on the relevant processor lists on
Wikipedia.

I decided to go with Vmware since we use Vmware at work and it is what I
am most familiar with, plus it can exploit the Intel-VT capabilities in
my box. In addition to getting kit with either Intel-VT or AMD-V, your
strategy is basically sound, except I decided fastest CPUs were not as
valuable as the number of cores. So I went for lower CPU and bus speeds
in preference for more cores and more RAM. From my monitoring of servers
at work RAM is the more useful commodity in a server and I have little
need for prolonged periods of CPU intensive activities.

A2 - What Vic said is dead right.

The 32-bit hugemem kernels from RHEL will address 64GB. For RHEL3, you got
a 4GB limit per process - I doubt that's changed, but I don't actually
know for sure.

So you can use a 32-bit kernel and I did test this and it does work,
plus you can even avoid some minor incompatibilities with some (desktop)
applications that are still flaky in their 64-bit flavours. In the end I
decided to go with a 64-bit host OS and deal with the minor niggles of
64-bit Java plugins, Real Player 11, etc.

Most of the current crop of virtualisation technologies can exploit
AMD-V or Intel-VT. See the link below for details and choose the one
suits you need best.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_virtualization

Good luck with your project. I hope you have as much fun as I did :-)

Regards, Martin.