Re: [Hampshire] New box for Virtualisation

Author: Alan Bell
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] New box for Virtualisation
I think you are about right in your thinking, so Ubuntu as the host OS,
but what are the guest operating systems? What virtualisation software?
It might be more cost effective (and possibly cooler) to go for lots of
moderate processors/cores rather than a smaller number of screaming fast
ones. Virtualisation with several VMs should spread out over the
processors nicely.
If it is just for virtualisation then avoid using the host as a general
purpose workstation (put the fancy graphics card somewhere else:-) ), if
you break the host then you break all the guests at once.

Alan.