Re: [Hampshire] extracting .exe file for NDISwrapper

Author: Peter Salisbury
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] extracting .exe file for NDISwrapper
2008/9/26 john lewis <johnlewis@???>:
> On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 14:42:09 +0100
> "Peter Salisbury" <peterthevicar@???> wrote:
>
>> My notes on using the rt2500 card, dating back to the old days
>> before an official package, are at:
>
> I bought an Edimax EW-7100PCg from Linux Emporium?? sometime ago
> because they claimed it was Linux compatible only to find they meant
> ubuntu compatible. I tried to get it working using the windows
> drivers on their CD plus ndiswrapper etc but failed to get it working
> at all.
>
> I am using the current Lenny kernel 2.6.26.1-286 on a Compaq
> Evo N160.
>
> When I plug the card in I get the following message
> in /var/log/syslog:
>
> cs: pcmia_socket0: cardbus cards are not supported.

This sounds like your major problem. Maybe there is a module you need
to insert to drive the cardbus bridge?

Googling suggests it needs the yenta_socket module - do you have that loaded?

> The spec for the N160 says cardbus cards are supported
> and /boot/config-2.6.26-1.685 has a line CONFIG_CARDBUS=y
>
> lspci does not have any line suggesting it sees a "Network
> controller: Ralink" as suggested by Peter in his wiki item although it
> does have this line:-
>
> Cardbus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1410 PC Card Cardbus Controller
> (rev 01)
>
> I 'aptitude installed rt2500-source' and carried out the steps
> listed by Peter and eventually got to the point where I could run
> "rmmod rt2500; depmod -a; modprobe ra0" without getting an error
>
> but when I do "ipup ra0" I end up with "SIOCSIFADDR: no such device"

That error means that it can't find the hardware, presumably due to
the cardbus error. If it isn't listed in lspci then it's not going to
work.

> I followed Peter's suggestion for an entry
> in /etc/network/interfaces, except I opted to use dhcp and didn't
> include " && iwconfig ra0 key restricted 1234567890" as I don't
> understand what this does.

That's the 10 hex digit WEP key. I found with my card that it needed
the WEP key to access the AP even to get DHCP going. Seems daft to me
so I stuck with a fixed address.

HTH, Peter