Re: [Hampshire] extracting .exe file for NDISwrapper

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] extracting .exe file for NDISwrapper
On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 14:42:09 +0100
"Peter Salisbury" <peterthevicar@???> wrote:

> My notes on using the rt2500 card, dating back to the old days
> before an official package, are at:

I bought an Edimax EW-7100PCg from Linux Emporium?? sometime ago
because they claimed it was Linux compatible only to find they meant
ubuntu compatible. I tried to get it working using the windows
drivers on their CD plus ndiswrapper etc but failed to get it working
at all.

I am using the current Lenny kernel 2.6.26.1-286 on a Compaq
Evo N160.

When I plug the card in I get the following message
in /var/log/syslog:

cs: pcmia_socket0: cardbus cards are not supported.

The spec for the N160 says cardbus cards are supported
and /boot/config-2.6.26-1.685 has a line CONFIG_CARDBUS=y

lspci does not have any line suggesting it sees a "Network
controller: Ralink" as suggested by Peter in his wiki item although it
does have this line:-

Cardbus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1410 PC Card Cardbus Controller
(rev 01)

I 'aptitude installed rt2500-source' and carried out the steps
listed by Peter and eventually got to the point where I could run
"rmmod rt2500; depmod -a; modprobe ra0" without getting an error

but when I do "ipup ra0" I end up with "SIOCSIFADDR: no such device"

I followed Peter's suggestion for an entry
in /etc/network/interfaces, except I opted to use dhcp and didn't
include " && iwconfig ra0 key restricted 1234567890" as I don't
understand what this does.

any suggestions as to what is going wrong will be welcome

--
John Lewis
using Debian Sid with windowmaker for a nicer desktop