Re: [Hampshire] extracting .exe file for NDISwrapper

Author: Jonathan Hudson
To: hampshire
New-Topics: [Hampshire] Wireless chipsets fully compatible with Kubuntu 8.04 [Was Re: extracting .exe file for NDISwrapper]
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] extracting .exe file for NDISwrapper
On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 14:05:12 +0100
Lisi <hantslug@???> wrote:

> Problem:  get a wireless card going properly in Kubuntu.  The card is a RaLink
> RT2500.
> Therefore install windows driver with NDISwrapper

> Tried:  Unzip.  response:- unzip: cannot find zipfile directory
>             install cabextract  result:- not in respository
>            Google again for some more solutions.

Lisi,

cabextract is in the 8.04 repositories (in universe):

$ lsb_release -ci
Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
Codename:    hardy

$ aptitude show cabextract
Package: cabextract
New: yes
State: installed
Automatically installed: yes
Version: 1.2-2
Section: universe/utils

> The card works otb on Kubuntu 7.04, but sadly not in 8.04 (or 7.10, come to
> that). :-(

The card should work with in 8.04 with rt2500pci (I have one). However
it has a number of suboptimal features.

* If the AP is hidden, you have to tell it the desired ESSID, for
example, as a pre-up stanza in /etc/network/interfaces. IIRC, this
precludes it from working with NetworkManager.

* The data rate defaults to 1MB/s, which is depressing. Setting it to a
higher value in /etc/network/interfaces may help a bit, but you'll get
nothing like full speed out of it.

e.g.

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    pre-up iwconfig wlan0 essid MY-WLAN
    wpa-driver wext
    wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
    pre-up iwconfig wlan0 rate 24M
    post-up iwconfig wlan0 rate auto

If you're up for it, a better option is to compile the old drivers from
http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Downloads, and set that
up the bad old way (iwpriv etc). I appreciate that compiling kernel
modules is not for everyone.

The situation is not improved in 8.10 either (in fact it's worse, as
the old driver currently will not compile against the Alpha5 kernel).

Best advice (IMHO) is to replace it with a Zydas based model.

-jonathan