Re: [Hampshire] Novatech laptops

Author: alan c
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Novatech laptops
The Holy ettlz wrote:
>> Try to make novatech and their staff as much aware of linux (ubuntu as
>> an easy brand focus maybe?) as you possibly can, with the issue of a
>> possible sale and future custom as obvious as possible please?
>
> I think they are quite aware (and have done at least some testing, from
> what I gather on their forum) --- hence the blank notebooks being
> cheaper than the ones with Windows preloaded!
>
>> On way might be to spend time by going to one of their outlets and
>> with their help, using a live CD, and systematically noting what
>> works or not.
>
> Last time I was at the Portchester outlet, at least one of their display
> notebooks was running Ubuntu (one of the ones I'm typing this on). I'm
> sure they'll allow you to lspci, lsmod, etc.

I bought a desktop (to support their no OS option) at their Reading
outlet a few months ago and the staff did not seem to be at all aware
of anything other than Windows, which the comment was, what they all
used personally anyway.

It is impressive that another outlet actually has ubuntu running on
display, thats great.

However, awareness is the basic necessity, and the powerful message
(for sales and profit) is that there are a -lot- of sales potentially
to be gained for them as they become more (ubuntu) friendly,
compatible, and with related information.

One of the consequences might easily be a cult of enthusiast purchases
favouring Novatech simply because they are (ubuntu or gnu/linux) friendly.
--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391