Re: [Hampshire] Re: TRYING to set up my own simple mail serv…

Author: James Ashburner
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Re: TRYING to set up my own simple mail server? Can anyone help?
Jason Butwell wrote:
> Hi, Thanks for your info there, but maybe I didnt make myself clear in
> the first instance.
>
> Basically the reasons for doing this is to try to set up a small email
> server that will be used by about 10 people tops in a small office.
> There is a budget on it but obviously I need to do it as cheap as
> possible. The idea is to be able to send emails around the office along
> with big attachments and to be able to accept individual email from the
> outside world and to be able to send email to the outside world via the
> ISP's smart host if possible so they can handle the spamming/abuse
> issues, etc. It is necessary for the individuals to be able to get their
> email via web interface such as squirrelmail and outlook would be
> welcome too if possible. I wanted spamassasin and clamav installed to
> take care of any crap that comes in.
>
> My domain name is jmbit.co.uk <http://jmbit.co.uk> and my dyndns is
> jasybee2000.ath.cx <http://jasybee2000.ath.cx>, obviously it wasnt
> bob.co.uk <http://bob.co.uk> as mentioned earlier as that was an example
> and not to reveal the real addresses but I am now doing so here to
> alleviate the confusion of someone saying dont use that domain as it
> belongs to someone else. Erm, well yeah! obviously! My name is Jason so
> why the hell would I have a domain called bob.co.uk <http://bob.co.uk>!
> Thought that was obvious!
>
> I have already had a word with a friend who knows a bit about this and
> he has informed me that using a combination of a dyndns.org
> <http://dyndns.org> name a real domain name should not be a problem. He
> basically told me to change the DNS settings on the jmbit.co.uk
> <http://jmbit.co.uk> domain to the following:
>
> A, CNAME and TXT records
> Name    Type    Content.
> @ A 194.154.164.82 <http://194.154.164.82> (unchanged)
> mail CNAME jasybee2000.ath.cx <http://jasybee2000.ath.cx>.
> www A 194.154.164.82 <http://194.154.164.82> (unchanged)

> MX Records
> Name    Priority
> jasybee2000.ath.cx <http://jasybee2000.ath.cx>. 10

> Does anyone agree with this? I am going to try this again from a
> different tutorial on how to forge - entitled the perfect server. This
> is just a way to try and test this out to see if I can get email back
> and forth from this server. I understand I have to forward the ports
> from my cable router as the jasybee2000.ath.cx
> <http://jasybee2000.ath.cx> points to that by default. Does this look
> feasible in any sense? I am not sure as to wether the mail relay to
> smtp.ntlworld.com <http://smtp.ntlworld.com> is going to work but I can
> telnet into it no problem so I presume their mailserver smtp is open? I
> am not sure about the authentication rules on that one? I think i'll
> give this a try and report back?
>
> My friend informs me I have to call the box mail and update the hosts
> file to include mail.jmbit.co.uk <http://mail.jmbit.co.uk> pointing to
> [...]

I have a similar setup at home and found it very easy to set up using
ClarkConnect Linux. The community version will do exactly what you want
and allows up to 10 mailboxes.

DNS was a lot easier when someone on the list suggested EveryDNS
(http://www.everydns.net/). My domain is registered with 1&1 and from
their control panel I have set nameservers to:

ns1.everydns.net
ns2.everydns.net
ns3.everydns.net
ns4.everydns.net

Then in the EveryDNS control panel I've created 2 A records
(www.servertude.co.uk and servertude.co.uk) and pointed it at my
external IP address. I've then created an MX record and pointed it to
servertude.co.uk.

EveryDNS is useful because they offer a perl script to update your IP
address. I've set this up to run at 2hr intervals using cron. Previously
when my IP changed (which is not very often) I would have to manually
update it with 1&1.

Bear in mind that changes made to DNS don't take effect immediately, you
may have to wait several hours in fact, so don't assume you've done
something wrong if you can immediately send mail.

Vic mentioned smarthosting to avoid having your outgoing mail bounced as
spam. I've not looked at this, but ClarkConnect has a setting for
"Outbound relay hosts". I've set this to my ISPs mailserver and my mail
gets through fine now.

I can't help with the actual mail server setup because ClarkConnect just
works once you've specified the domain in the web interface. It's a very
easy way to set up a mail server, though I'm sure you can do a lot more
fancy stuff if you set it up yourself.

ClarkConnect uses Horde to allow access to mail via a web interface and
also allows shared folders using SAMBA.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

James