Re: [Hampshire] WiFi hotspots

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: SysAdmin, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] WiFi hotspots

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57ec7100.hantslug.org.uk.28475': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sat Jul 26 18:54:17 2008 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 06:47:45PM +0100, Tim B (Systems) wrote:
> I can understand blocking smtp, and perhaps vpn, but why would you block ssh?

Block everything. Only allow the things you know you want to allow:
DNS and HTTP. Possibly GRE and the negotiation ports for PPTP VPNs.
Just possibly IMAP, IMAPS and POP3. What else would anybody want?

> The (relatively few) people who are aware of ssh, are mostly going to use it
> to access the command line anyway.

The key here is the phrase "very few". They don't get many people
complaining about the lack, so there's no point in them putting in
extra effort to unblock it.

Hugo.

     --- "I don't like the look of it,  I tell you." "Well, stop ---
                          looking at it, then."