Re: [Hampshire] GNU Linux mnemonics

Author: Victor Churchill
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] GNU Linux mnemonics
> 2) Creating a symlink:
>
> ]#ln -s /usr/local/targetfile .
>
> This visual mnemonic illustrates the order in which you type the target
> file "targetfile" and desired symlink location which can be tricky to
> remember at first.

I once heard someone say "Link what where." and that has stuck with me.
It also applies to the mount command ("mount what where") (and
incidentally also to the grep example you gave : "find what where").

<side rant> but why oh why do some commands use "-R" to indicate a
recursive operation and others "-r" ?! </side rant>

Other than that, as Stephen says, you just seem to pick them up
through usage - and also, once you have done it once, bash history is
a great resource.
And one of the many nice things about Linux is that more and more
commands now respond to the "--help" or "-?" switch with a quick
synopsis.