Re: [Hampshire] serial console remote control sorta thing ty…

Author: Isaac Close
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] serial console remote control sorta thing type deal

--- On Tue, 22/7/08, Andy Smith <andy@???> wrote:
From: Andy Smith <andy@???>
To: hampshire@???
Date: Tuesday, 22 July, 2008, 5:50 PM

Hi Isaac,

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 04:35:34PM +0000, Isaac Close wrote:
> I would like to connect to my computers serial port from a remote

location. Whats the name of those things that allow this ? I forgot :(

A modem and a phone line?

Another computer in the same place that you have access to, with a serial port?

That's all a terminal is.

[sorry if this doesn't come out correct, i think yahoo webmail
doesn't like bottom posting ]

Er, thanks for that wonderful piece of advice, but I reckon i'd need
a very long phone cable to reach the office at the data centre from
my rack, and i've not tested my usr courier
v34 with kermit for quite some time :)

Sorry i should have been a tad more specific.

Basically i'm after something with an rj-45 -> 25 pin serial (net
instead of phone line modem), so i can reach my sun LOM remotely.
I know cisco do these things, i just can't remember the name of
them, also i'd rather not spend a gazillion quid.

Its kinda in the same train of thought as those aps power strips
one can log into over the network to power cycle machines.

thanks indeey,

Isaac.

Not happy with your email address?.