[Hampshire] CD not appearing - very basic

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] CD not appearing - very basic
Hi all

OK - I feel a bit of a berk asking but I've just inserted a mp3cd into my DVD drive on Ubuntu 7.1 and - nothing. Normally the icon appears on the (gnome) desktop - but nothing and if I click on any of the cdrom icons in Nautillus (the file manager thing whatever it's called) I get a "unable to mount the selected volume special mount /dev/hdc does not exist". The thing is - there was an icon there before I swapped the disk (from blank DVD to mp3CD) but even putting the original blank back in doesn't fix it.

It's in the middle of a 2Gb download at present which I don't think I can pause so I'd rather not reboot. Any ideas anyone? I'm sure it's something very basic and very obvious - but not to me.

Cheers
Rob