Re: [Hampshire] restoring Mozilla Thunderbird and Firefox fr…

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] restoring Mozilla Thunderbird and Firefox from backup
Lisi wrote:
> I need to eat humble pie. I know that I have visited this subject on this
> list before; and not long ago, at that. Several of you sent me useful replies
> and Sean (I think - sorry if it was someone else) sent me the most marvellous
> magic incantation which worked in full.
>
> I have just spent quite a long, frustrating time searching for the thread. It
> is the first time that searching my Gmail archive has let me down. Clearly I
> am putting garbage in and getting garbage out. :-(
>
> Can anyone rescue me from my incompetence and point me at the earlier thread?
>
> Or would any kind soul tell me what to do? I remember it was more complicated
> than Mozillazine had led me to expect, so am trying to read up as much as
> possible before I mess a fresh install up again.
>
> The "backup" is simply a copy of my husband's /home as it was on the now
> defunct installation. I do not want to copy everything back: just his
> document files (easy) and his email, or I could simply use the command I used
> to copy from /home to /backup to copy from /backup to /home.

Hi Lisi,

I sent you the original email off-list, but to summarise I do the following:

- Install Thunderbird
- Fire it up and set up the account
- Go into ~user/.mozilla-thunderbird
- Rename <newstring>.default to <newstring>.default.orig
- Copy the folder
'<backup_location>/.mozilla-thunderbird/<oldstring>.default' to
'~user/mozilla-thunderbird/<newstring>.default'
- Fire up Thunderbird and weep if it doesn't work

I am guessing that there is an easier way to achieve this but it works...

I would also guess that if you have any profiles other than 'default'
you may need to follow a similar process for them too.

Sean