Re: [Hampshire] Firefox Annoyance

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Firefox Annoyance
On Mon, 30 Jun 2008, Tony Whitmore wrote:

> I know you've fixed this by disabling the domain guessing feature. A
> different way to fix this is to configure domain searching in your
> resolv.conf (or the settings distributing via DHCP if you use that) so that
> houseweb.domain resolves. Firefox will try this before domain guessing.
> This means you can still using domain guessing for other words.

Another way that usually suppresses the suffix part of the guess is to
end the machine name with a dot, e.g.:
    http://houseweb./

Of course that won't necessarily stop the prefix guess, but I suspect
it'll try the name you give it before quessing at a prefix.

A further option is a phantom local domain like "localnet" or "mydomain"
and add it to the guessing rules before .com. That will allow the URI
you used to get your server, but also allow the guessing still to work
should you want the address guessing (personally I think that's a bad
idea anyway, like the Windoze "hide known file extenions" option.)

G.
--
Gordon Scott                  http://www.gscott.co.uk

        Linux ... Because I like to *get* there today.