Re: [Hampshire] Rsync question

Author: Tim
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Rsync question
On Thursday 26 June 2008 18:49:46 Damian Brasher wrote:

> > mit@titan:~$ cat /proc/mounts
> > rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
> > /dev/root / ext3 rw,noatime,data=ordered 0 0
> > tmpfs /lib/init/rw tmpfs rw,nosuid 0 0
> > proc /proc proc rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec 0 0
> > sysfs /sys sysfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec 0 0
> > usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec 0 0
> > /dev/root /dev/.static/dev ext3 rw,data=ordered 0 0
> > tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw 0 0
> > none /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
> > tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
> > fusectl /sys/fs/fuse/connections fusectl rw 0 0
> > binfmt_misc /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw 0 0
> > /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1 vfat
> > rw,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,gid=100,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437,ioc
> >harset=iso8859-1 0 0
> > /dev/sdc1 /mnt/sdc1 ext3 ro,nosuid,nodev,data=ordered 0 0
>
> Further to me previous post, I see that your sender is the vfat drive so
> size is not a factor - however I'd follow on from Andy's comments that you
> do need to check the state of sdc1 thoroughly.
>
> Tim Wrote:
> >Well I started Hugo command at about 7-00pm last night, its is still
> >running now (4-24am, yes its early), does it normally takes this long or
>
> do >we assume the disk is dead (its a 500gb disk)??
>
> You may have to wait for the command to finish - the disk could be bad,
> but there might be a problem with your disk controller, cable or cable
> configuration. Go through all the basic checks then use another
> motherboard if necessary to compare. Perhaps the disk was not properly
> formatted or the partition was bad.
>
> --
> Damian L Brasher
> http://www.diap.org.uk

Well the command finished, took about 48 hours to complete, there was no
output when it finished. So I deleted the existing partition, then re
partitioned again and tried to format, results was it formatted 7gb out of
468gb formatted and then said it had completed. It is currently hooked up to
a windows box (to prove its not the PC) and its not fairing very well.

I am going to contact Seagate (which is another reason I hooked it up to
windows, they don't list Linux as a supported OS) and see what they say as it
is under a year old.

Tim

GET FREE 5GB EMAIL - Check out spam free email with many cool features!
Visit http://www.inbox.com/email to find out more!